JL Dube Broadband Launch
The 9th of July 2020 marked the beginning of the digital revolution as the Minister of Communications and Digital Technology Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams and the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs Nomusa Dube-Ncube officially launched a JL Dube Broadband Highsite in Vezokuhle Primary School, Edendale under Umsunduzi Municipality.
The long-term vision of this program is to turn KZN into a Smart Province through the digital infrastructure. Speaking at the launch, MEC Dube-Ncube said “today involves the connection of 6 hotspots but our target is to ensure that 20500 hotspots throughout KwaZulu-Natal. We want every member of the community to have access to the internet.”
Minister Ndabeni-Abrahams remarked that the JL Dube Broadband will change the socio-economic status of the people of Umgungundlovu.
The socio-economic benefits of Free Wi-Fi Hotpots and JL Dube Broadband include: –
- 2 million jobs created over 5 years;
- 2000 self-sustainable SMME’s created over 5 years;
- 80% of the population with access to affordable internet over 5 years;
- 12% ICT Sector GDP growth in the Province over 5 years;
- Locally manufactured technologies exported throughout the globe;
- Fast and efficient government services made possible through e-Governance;
- Highly skilled and capable human capital in the 4IR skills.