CALL OF APPLICATIONS FOR
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR: COMPANY SECRETARY
REF. NO: CoSec 01/2021
The Moses Kotane Institute (MKI) is looking to appoint an experienced and suitably qualified South African Citizen to provide services as an Independent Contractor: Company Secretary to serve the MKI Board.
Minimum Requirements: A governance qualification as at NQF Level 8 (Honours/Degree and Post Graduate Diploma/ LLB and an Admission as a Legal Practitioner). Registration with the Chartered Governance Institute of South Africa. At least 5 years’ experience in a compliance and administration role.
A valid driver’s license and have access to own transport.
Core Competencies: Professionalism, Independence, Excellence, Integrity, Responsiveness, Inclusivity, Stress Tolerance and Reliability. Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Provide Board members with guidance as to their duties, responsibilities, and powers.
- Make the Board aware of any law relevant to the company.
- Report any failures on the part of the company or Directors to comply with the Memorandum of Incorporation, Companies Act and the PFMA
- Certify company’s audited financial statements whether the company has filed required returns and notices in terms of the Act, and whether all such returns and notices appear to be true, correct and up to date. Ensure that a copy of the company’s financial statements is sent to every person who is entitled to it in terms of Company’s Act.
- Annual returns and update company information on CIPC, including director changes and company related information.
- Carry out functions of a person who is responsible for the company compliance with the filing of annual returns in terms of the Companies Act.
- Provide proper induction, orientation, and ongoing training for Board members.
- Ensure that all terms of reference / committee charters are kept up to date.
- Draft yearly plans in consultation with the Chairperson of the Board.
- Ensure proceeding of the board and committee meetings are properly recorded, and that minutes are circulated as prescribed by the Act, after approval of the chairperson of the board or relevant board committee.
- Obtain appropriate responses and feedback to specific agenda items and matters arising from committee deliberations.
- Assist with yearly evaluation of the board, its individual directors and senior management.
- Provide information to internal and external auditors as may be requested from time to time.
- Perform any other tasks or attend any other meeting arising from Board deliberations.
Term and Remuneration: Available immediately, 12 (renewable for 2 further 12 months terms, based on performance on each term). Equivalent DPSA Level 12 salary.
Correspondence: Shortlisted candidates may be required to undergo a verification processes. Interested candidates must submit their applications including clear copies of, a CV, certified copy of ID, certified copy of driver’s license, certified copies of relevant qualifications (if foreign, submit a SAQA evaluation certificate), a letter of good standing from the Chartered Governance Institute of South Africa and 2 reference letters from Boards they have served on (private and or public sector), Affidavit confirming that the candidate has no criminal records or pending criminal and disciplinary matters against him/her, to: [email protected] by 14 June 2021 no later than 23h59.
Applications not compliant with the prescripts herein, will not be considered. For any technical queries contact 082 551 8697. The Institution reserves the right not to appoint.